Found this excellent tip on http://www.vilondo.com/bali-travel-guide/how-to-get-internet-247-in-bali/
Here is my 3-step recommendation
1) Buy Sim card:
2) Buy 50k credits:
3) Activate internet:
- Send an SMS to number: 3636
- Write: “UL ON 50k“
- This will activate two weeks of internet at 384 kbps. You may receive an SMS shortly after in Bahasa, which asks you to confirm. Just reply “1” to the message, to confirm the activation
- Done. You know have great 3G connection in all of Indonesia
You may also want to get full possible 3G speed by paying extra, or e.g. just 1 day of internet.
Here is a table that explains what SMS to send, to activate the different packages:
|No||Price||Period and Speed||Usage Limits||SMS to 3636|
|1||Rp 5,000 or USD 0.5||1 day and max. 384 kbps||30 MB||UL ON 5k|
|2||Rp 10,000 or USD 1||1 day and max. 1 Mbps||60 MB||UL ON 10k|
|3||Rp 50,000 or USD 5||14 days and max. 384 kbps||300 MB||UL ON 50k|
|4||Rp 125,000 or USD 12.5||30 days and max. 1 Mbps||1.25 GB||*See below|
|4||Rp 250,000 or USD 25||30 days and max. 1 Mbps||3 GB||*See below|
*Activiation by the phone menu
The activation by sms is no longer available for the 30 das packages. Instead you have to use the phone menu. The phone menu is in Bahasa, but if you follow this guide it should be easy, even if your Bahasa skills are limited:
- Send an SMS to number: *363*
- Choose: 2. Paket Internetan
- Choose: 2. Flash Unlimited
- Depending on package choose on of the following 1 for 50.000 rp, 2 for 100.000 rp, 3 for 200.000 rp.
Notice that if you exceed the fair use limits, usually nothing happens (they don”t actually check this it seems). But be aware that you may get an SMS if you exceed the limit, and then your internet will simply stop working, so you will know that you have to re-activate it by using the same steps above again.